Thursday, February 24, 2011

Happy birthday, Shahid: 30 Reasons I Love Him

If you know me at all, you know I'm a huge Shahid Kapoor fan. Huuuge. I remember liking him from the first time I watched Ishq Vishk - he was cute, a good actor, and had that distinct 'star-like' quality about him. After that, his movies came and went, but I hadn't watched all of them... then came Vivah. He completely won me over with his performance. Not only was he talented, but he oozed sincerity - he was incredibly likable. Jab We Met just cemented my opinion. After that, I started YouTubing him - I watched his interviews and appearances on talk shows and I was bowled over. He came across sensible, humble, and very mature. That's when I decided I liked Shahid the Person far more than I liked Shahid the Actor - which is saying something, since I believe he's one of the most talented actors in Bollywood today.

On February 25th, Shahid celebrates his 30th birthday. It's a big milestone, no doubt, so to join in on the celebrations, I give to you a list of 30 reasons I love Shahid Kapoor! ;)


30 Reasons I Love Shahid Kapoor


1. He’s a subtle actor. His real talent lies in those small nuances, those blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moments, and that makes for highly natural acting. He adds so much to a scene that we as an audience may not take explicit notice of, and I think that’s where great talent lies: it’s not overt and showy, it blends in perfectly.

2. He’s a highly intelligent actor and seems to be able to ‘feel’ out a scene very well. One example: Anushka Sharma said during the shooting of Badmaash Company that in one scene, she and Shahid were walking down a street and talking, but Shahid found something ‘missing’ in the scene. He asked for it to be reshot with them eating watermelons, thus giving them something to do with their hands. The thing about such a scene is that you do not realize what the watermelon adds to it until you think of the scene without it—something does seem to be missing.

3. He has a great work ethic. Several of Shahid’s directors and co-actors have praised his ability to be so focused and dedicated; he really does seem to give his all to a film (case-in-point: taking a year off to work on his dad’s film, Mausam).

4. He’s an unbelievable dancer. I don’t even think I need to say anything more about this—just take a look at his Michael Jackson tribute, and you’ll see!



5. He’s extremely good-looking. Oh come on, you didn’t think I’d make a list and not include this, did you? I mean, just look at him! *dreamy sigh*

6. He has a very mature attitude about his career. In many interviews he has said that he doesn't lament a failure too long and he doesn't take the success of a film to his head. I think this is such a healthy attitude to have, because success and failure (especially in an industry such as Bollywood) comes and goes.

7. He’s very sincere. He comes across as extremely straight-forward in all his interviews. And he says it himself all the time: “keep it real.”

8. He’s extremely devoted to his spiritual beliefs, which I admire above all else. Being someone who places great importance on body building, it must be difficult to not eat meat to get that kind of protein. And being someone from the Bollywood industry who has to attend many parties and whatnot, it must be difficult not to drink. But he does neither and is serious about it—I admire his resilience to not ‘give in’ to the trappings of Bollywood and to remain firm in his beliefs.

9. He’s really humble – it never seems like his success goes to his head; he seems as down-to-earth as always.

10. His philosophical tweets always put a smile on my face!




11. He actually drinks his coffee when on talk shows. I dunno, I find that extremely endearing, since most people tend to ignore it entirely! :P



12. He’s really sweet to his fans – he took time out to talk to me on the phone even though I think we were disturbing him! He was really nice about it, though, and wished me well. (I’m posting this story again soon for those of you who haven’t heard it yet.)

13. He’s a total family man, and there is something really endearing about that. He’s always talking about his father, and the Twitter conversations between him and Ishaan (his brother) are always so cute!



14. Whenever he’s shooting, he tends to post pictures of his surroundings – it’s so interactive and makes us feel like we’re there! ;)

15. His eye-wrinkling grin makes my heart happy.

I'm grinning like an idiot now too!


16. He’s a great host. His hosting stints on SSA 2010 and 2011 had me in splits. Also, he and Shahrukh Khan make a great team—when are we seeing them in a movie together?!



17. He’s surprisingly good at mimicry. He was hilarious and spot-on in his imitation of Aamir Khan during SSA 2010.

18. He made replacing the ‘s’ in sentences with an ‘f’ cool – itf the new hotteft thing to do!

19. He is the first actor in the world to fly an F16. How awesome is that?!

20. He looks hawt in a suit



21. … and in a uniform

MY HARRY!!! <3


22. … and even more so in a kurta-pyjama!



23. He looks adorable when he makes the peace sign while posing for photos!



24. He sounds feckfy when he speaks Punjabi! “Big deal – tenu ki farak penda hai?” “Correct – menu ki farak penda hai?!”

25. He usually ends the day with a “shabbakhair” tweet – how fweet! (That rhymed? :P)

26. On the ‘shabbakhair’ note: how cute is it when he uses the word ‘neeni’?! :P

27. He always sends sweet messages to ShahidOnline.net, his biggest fanclub.



28. He’s actually pretty funny – not only does he act out comedic roles with ease, but he also posts funny lines on Twitter!


Read from the bottom-up!


29. He’s an all-out good guy at heart, the kind of guy you just want to take home… yet he has a bit of that “bad boy” edge (his bike, anyone?) that’s so appealing!

30. And the final reason why I love Shahid Kapoor: he brought to me the lovely #Shanatics, some truly special girls (and guys!) who have made Twitter a better place to be. :) Love you all!


Okay, so there you have it—30 reasons! Feel free to share your own reasons in the comments, so that we can celebrate our favourite badmaash’s birthday in style!

Happy birthday, Sasha! :)

5 comments:

  1. Rashmi that was beautifully written i echo everything as you have said...
    Talking to Shahid must have been a dream and memory to Cherish
    Hope you meet him one day..
    Keshie [KESHLUVZSHAHID]

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes sasha is humble, good looking and everything that u have said. u r so lucky to meet him.......i too will meet him personally someday before i close my eyes forever....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kesh - Thank you! :) It was and I hope so too. ;)

    Christine - Thank you for your comment. :) I didn't actually meet him - just spoke to him on the phone because one of my family members met him and asked him to talk to me. Would love to actually meet him one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post! I first saw him in JWM and had no idea who he was since I hadn't had access to many Bollywood movies around the time he made his debut. Obviously I was blown away and went back to check out more movies of his. The thing I loved about him when I started looking at interviews was his tendency to lapse into Hindi despite the interviewer conversing with him in English. I just found that so endearing and genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post.
    YHM upcoming latest news Ishita reentry in Bhalla house
    Ishqbaaz upcoming twist Anika Gauri fight over Oberois heir

    ReplyDelete