Friday, February 18, 2011

Bollywood Characters I'd Marry - Part One

Here's a bit of an embarrassing fact: I'm a big sap at heart and I completely eat up the idea of a Bollywood romance; you're very likely to find me staring googly-eyed at those Bollywood scenes that others may call cliché and cringe at. For this reason, I've always maintained that Bollywood has ruined my chances of finding the 'perfect' guy, simply because it has raised the standards so high that I can't ever imagine someone meeting them (waiting to be proven wrong, btw). I know we all have our fictional crushes--mine can perhaps be contained in a book the size of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix--so I'm doing it Bollywood-style on this blog and telling you about the characters I'd marry in a heartbeat (in no particular order). I'm splitting this up in two posts, because apparently I can get really ramble-y when talking about the characters I love. ;)


The All-Out Good Guy
These are the complete good guys. Sincere, lovable, and always doing the right thing.

Aditya Kashyap (Shahid Kapoor; Jab We Met)

There's something undeniably appealing about a quiet, brooding guy who seems to have the weight of the world on his shoulders--you inexplicably want to fix things for him. But then there's something more appealing about the guy when he snaps out of it and you discover that beneath all the sulking, there's a guy who is fun, loves to sing, and is genuinely good. And good he is--which other kind of guy would travel across India to accompany a girl home just because it is apparently his fault that she missed her train? And which guy would help the girl (whom he has fallen in love with) run away from her home and into the arms of another man? Which guy would then track down the girl after finding out that all's not well with her, bring joy back into her life, reunite her with her family, and then still try to patch things up between her and her estranged lover? Only an all-out good guy, that's for sure. As Geet rightly says in the movie: "Tumhare upar koi bhi ladki flat ho sakti hai." ("Any girl would fall for you.") 


Prem (Shahid Kapoor; Vivah)

This character is almost single-handedly responsible for me falling in love with Shahid Kapoor. There's nothing to not like about this guy: he's got that endearing innocence, he's charmingly awkward, he tries to accept Poonam's completely traditional ways even if he doesn't understand it all the time, he studied Literature (*swoon*), aaand he doesn't turn his back on her even when tragedy strikes. Perfection.



The Urbane Gentleman
The smooth, sophisticated, smart guys.

Kabir (Rahul Khanna; Wake Up Sid)

I see a lot of myself in Aisha (Konkona Sen Sharma's character in Wake Up Sid), but the one thing I would have done differently is pick Kabir over Sid. He's suave, smart, an editor (brb, dyinggg), and incredibly good-looking. Sorry, Sid, as much as I love you, your immature self doesn't hold a candle to the amazingness that is Kabir. Of course, what adds to my adoration of this character is that Kabir seems very similar to what Rahul Khanna is actually like, so my affection for Rahul Khanna transcends into this character. But either way, Kabir managed to win my heart--and I'd even be willing to tolerate all that jazz, just for him! :D

Arjun Burman (Abhay Deol; Aisha)

People the world over are in love with Mr Knightly--how could I possibly resist a Bollywood-ized version of this well-loved character? Arjun is the perfect mix of snide and kind, the guy who tells it as it is--and has the ability to bring larger-than-life Aisha down a peg or two--but is still undeniably gentle in doing so. Add to that his confidence, sophistication, and dimples, and you've got me swooning. To top it all off, he confesses his love for Aisha in true Bollywood fashion: by climbing up a ladder to her window! And you expected me to resist this guy? Pffft, as if. 

Okay, that's enough of the guys for now. Part two is coming soon and features four more of the Bollywood characters I'd love to marry. Till then, share your list with me! ;)

7 comments:

  1. There's no beating Aditya is there? I just...usse toh utha ke museum mein rakh dena chahiye because he's just that rare!

    Awwww I love that Prem is on there and I really enjoyed Vivah too but the Prem I like is another one ahem. Salman bias showing through XD

    Kabir ...we've had so many squee sessions over him that I don't even need to say anything more hehe

    I can see what you mean about Arjun but I mostly enjoyed the side characters in Aisha more and am judging Arjun based solely on his managing to actually like Aisha. Sonam Kapoor, I think you're lovely but this was one Emma I actually wouldn't mind getting strangled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, This is Steff (This is my account, finally remembered my password)

    Your list is so cute :)

    I am so traditional that firstly I would pick
    Raj (Aamir Khan) from QSQT :) He is adorable. Sweet, scared of love, awkward and HOT!

    Then as I told you, I would choose Rohan (Ruslan Mumtaz) from Mera Pehla Pehla Pyar. He went to the Eiffel Tower to propose to her for heaven's sake, he wore his hair in a hair tie and did a rock and roll song in his room. That is endearing!

    As traditional as I am...(confession time) I love bad boys :( I think I can somehow change them!! ...and also coz this bad boy makes my heartbeat stop: YES! John Abraham in DHOOM <3 Kabir Kabir Kabir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parul - Aditya ♥ There will never be another. Ticket lagni chayein usse dekhne ke liye. ;)

    Which Salman's Prem? MPK, HAHK, HSSH? There are so many! :P

    Ah yes, I don't logically see how Arjun would ever go for Aisha, but that aside, I really liked him. :D


    Steff - Aww, Raj! And Juhi was named Rashmi in that movie... soooo... maybe Raj should have been on my list, lol. Ahh yes, I remember MP3, that was cute. :)

    I have a thing for bad boys too, don't worry. ;) I knew John would make it on your list! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ticket lagni chayein usse dekhne ke liye. ;)
    Exactly!

    Which Salman's Prem? MPK, HAHK, HSSH? There are so many! :P
    I can never decided but I think I found the HSSH one the sweetest.

    Heh oh Abhay, I do adore him and love his movies but when I think about it I simply can't pick any of his characters as marriage material. Viren from SNT for example, only Aditi can handle him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey rashmi...i must say u've come forth with an interesting list of eligible bachelors. out of ur list iliked abhay deol....i watched the movie 5 times just 2 see him...OMG
    My list has ajay devgan from once upon atime...a bad guy with a good heart and the sexiest eyes.
    then there is prem from hum saath saath hai-shy,sincere, family loving, and romantic..:)
    i even liked arbaaz khan in pyaar kiya to darna kya...a protective brother and an arrogant lover.
    abhishek frm kabhi alvida na kehna..thts rishi i guess...he was very caring
    And the list goes on
    oh yes!! and madhavan frm guru

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sugandha, thanks for your comment! Abhay IS really cute, isn't he? He isn't flashy at all, but there's something about him that's really endearing.

    "A bad guy with a good heart" - I see what you mean! And I can see why that would be appealing.

    I have a soft corner for Rajshri's Prems as well (as you can see, Vivah's Prem made it on my list). I did like HSSH Prem... and also Hum Aapke Hai Koun Prem. :)

    Ooh, Arbaaz Khan from PKTDK is an unusual choice... don't think I would pick him or my list; too controlling and violent.

    Haha, I like a lot of Abhishek's characters... I think he brings a piece of his own personality into a lot of his characters, and since I think he's hilarious and adorable, I end up liking his characters too.

    Ah, I didn't think of Madhavan from Guru, but you're totally right! I loved Madhavan in that movie, not just his character but also his acting. He did a great job with that role.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete