Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bollywood Playlist #2: 90s Love Songs

A little while ago, my friend Parul (@nakhrewali) posted the following tweet on Twitter:

"I love that feeling of my-heart-could-almost-burst-of-gladness-&-if-it-did-butterflies-would-fly-out that I get with certain songs Ɛi3 <3"

Since I was in a bit of a funk tonight, I asked her to tell me what these songs were so that I could improve my mood. She did, and soon we started exchanging tweets back-and-forth about our favourite "happy" songs and discovered, oddly enough, that they were all from the 90s. Keeping that in mind, we decided to blog our favourite 90s Bollywood songs--and since Valentine's Day is so near, I'm keeping my list love-themed. I hope you all enjoy this trip down memory lane--I know I did. :)


90s Bollywood Love Songs
Click the title for YouTube link


 aur aahista; pankaj udas

aur aahista kijiye baatein
dhadkane koi sun raha hoga

speak softer,
someone may be listening to your heartbeats


ek ladki ko dekha; 1942 a love story

ek ladki ko dekha to aisa laga
jaise subah ka roop
jaise sardi ke dhoop

when i saw a girl, she seemed
like the beauty of morning,
like sunshine in the cold


ho gayi hai mohabbat; aslam & shibani

rakhdein saare jahaan ki kushiyaan 
tumhare kadmo par
dekhe na mudh kar duniya
awaaz de do agar

i will place all the world's happiness
at your feet
i will not turn back and look at the world
if you just call out to me


chand ne kuch kaha; dil toh paagal hai

pyar kar,
oh ho ho pyar kar

fall in love,
oh, fall in love


bahon ke darmiyan; khamoshi

 bahon ke darmiyan
doh pyar mil rahe hai

in the middle of an embrace
two loves are meeting


khamosh raat; thakshak

yeh sach hai
ya sapna

is this reality
or a dream?


nahin samne; taal

nahin samne yeh alag baat hai
mere paas hai tu

you're not in front of me, but still
you are near me 


 kehna hi kya; bombay

kehna hi kya yeh nain ek anjaane se jo mile
chal ne lage mohabbat ke jaise ye silsile

what should i say, my eyes met with a stranger's
and right there, a love story bloomed


do dil mil rahe hai; pardes

do dil mil rahe hai
magar chupke chupke

two hearts are meeting
in the sly


maine payal hai chankai; falguni pathak

meri saason mein tu hai basa, oh sajna
aaja na ab tarsa

you've settled in my breath, o beloved
come, don't make me wait

  

There are honestly so many more songs I want to add to this list. However, I've (rather difficultly) limited it to only ten. 90s Bollywood is, without a doubt, my favourite Bollywood period, so I'm having the best time ever YouTubing these songs--please list your favourite 90s Bollywood songs in the comments; I will probably love you forever for it. :)

P.S., Parul's LiveJournal is here, and her list should be up soon, so do take a look at it! I'm excited to read her list and rediscover all the 90s Bollywood goodness.


9 comments:

  1. Awww glad I could help with the funk <3

    1. Aur Ahista - !!! LOVE IT. Gosh it has been years since I heard it. Heart flipped as soon as the song started.

    lafz gir na paaye honton se, waqt ke haath inko chun lenge
    kaan rakhte hain yeh darodeewar, raaz ki saari baat sun lenge
    *melts*

    And the story in the video is so sweet. When I was watching it this time around I just *felt* the setting was Antipodean and lo it was Australia. I knew it probably wasn't NZ but yeah I love this even more now because the suburb depicted seemed very kiwi nonetheless.

    2. IDEK what more to say! Favourite song stuffed full of similes ever. So gorgeous. As a kid I always wanted to learn the lyrics by heart but never did manage to.

    3. LOL at the video. I vaguely remember the song itself from the 90s.

    4. I love the "jis pe hum mar mite usko pata bhi nahin, kya gila hum kare woh bewafa bhi nahin" and hehe I see that someone else on youtube does too

    5. Bahon Ke Darmiyaan is such an intimate song, both sung and picturised beautifully.

    6. I'm listening to that Takshak song for the first time, thanks for introducing me to it <3

    7. Bwahaha I totes forgot Akshay skated at one point during that song. Taal had so many good songs. The way this one has been song with that echo/acoustics type effect is well done.

    8. omg you won't believe it! I almost had Kehna Hi Kya on my list too. Ab iske baare mein...kehna hi kya ;D

    9. Kumar Sanu's voice just MAKES this song for me. MAKES IT.

    10. Falguni Pathak automatically cheers me up ^_^

    By the way, I created a syndicatContent-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
    Content-Length: 3084

    security_token=AOuZoY4sKh_b6lSJA_XRBp5AK2EbIuyiew:1297640855964

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was stupid, the thing cut my comment off LOL. I think it didn't like the link so I'll give it to you on LJ ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Aur Aahista. The lyrics are beautiful, right from the opening lines.

    I'm glad to have introduced you to Khamosh Raat. I remember falling in love with it when I first heard it, but I haven't listened to it in a while. I remembered it suddenly yesterday while making this list, so of course it had to make the cut.

    Agree with the echo/acoustics thing in Nahin Saamne. That makes the song appeal to me more.

    Ahhh yay, Kehna Hi Kya! Haha. Love.

    Falguni Pathak immediately cheers me up as well. I had to include a song of hers on the list because I used to be obsessed with her back in the days. I remember spending so many summer vacations in India peeled to the TV just to see her videos. Another song of hers I absolutely love but didn't include on the list is Churi Jo Khanki Haaton Mein. Good stuff :)

    Will check LJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are aren't they. Who wrote Aur Ahista do you know? Was it Pankaj ji himself?

    It slowly grows on you, Khamosh Raat.

    Arrre I totally know what you mean! The 90s private album scene was so much fun. I love how cute Falguni's videos always were but also stuff like Chuimui Si Tum, Piya Basanti, Ab ke Saawan, Gud Naal Ishq Mitha, Aankhon Mei Tera Hi Chehra (;D) etc. - that whole era of music has such a special place in my heart.

    I remember trying to do the "yaad piya ki aane lagi" actions while the song played on tv :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! The songs you listen to are so sensual with such deep lyrics! I almost burst into poetry while listening!
    My top ten fav songs from the 90s are more "Girly-teen" (Not listed in any order)
    1. Akele Hum toh kya gham hai-QSQT
    2. Kuch Na Kaho -1942 A love story
    3. Pyar Hua chupke se -1942 A love Story
    4. Dil se re-Dil Se
    5. Jadu hai tera hi jadu-Ghulam
    6. O Oh Jaane Jana -Pyar kiya to darna kya
    7. Chand sitare -Kaho na pyar hai ( yr 2000?)
    8. Kya Kehna -Kya Kehna
    9. Hote Hote pyar hogaya -Kumar Sanu
    10.Jiske aane se -Diljale

    Frm: Steff :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parul - I don't actually know who wrote Aur Aahista. Beautiful lyrics, though, so I must go find out. YES @ 90s private album scene; awesome stuff. Chuimui Si Tum and Aankhon Mein Tera Hi Chehra (:D) almost made it on the list too, but I had to leave them out because I already got to 10. They'll probably make it onto part 2, whenever I do that. ;)

    Steff - Loveee your list. Thanks for reminding me of Jadu Hai Tera Hi Jadu. I used to love that song so much, but completely forgot about it for this list. There may be a part 2 soon so I think it will make it on there. :) I also almost put O O Jaane Jaana on the list because I used to be OBSESSED with that song, but it wasn't really fitting in with the rest of the songs, so I left it out. Good, good songs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gist:I like this blog..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice list composed here. Really songs in that time were having meaningful lyrics. I love all songs from 90's era.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Post.
    Buy latest Bollywood samples and loops, Apple Loops and WAV format, future Bollywood Loops, DJ's Bollywood Grooves in Apple loop/AIFF format on mangoloops
    Bollywood Grooves

    ReplyDelete